Today, that is, 8th of September of every year signifies World Physiotherapy Day. It is a global event recognizing the importance and trusted role physiotherapists play to improve health and quality of life of their patients.
So let’s get into the details..
WHAT IS PHYSIOTHERAPY (PHYSICAL THERAPY) ?
According to World Confederation for Physiotherapy-
Physiotherapy is a health care profession which is concerned with identifying and maximizing the quality of life and movement potential within spheres of promotion, prevention, treatment, habilitation and rehabilitation.
WHO IS A PHYSIOTHERAPIST?
Physiotherapist is a licensed health-care professional having Bachelor’s and/Master’s degree and/PhD degree .
Physiotherapists examine, assess, interpret, diagnose, plan treatment. They also provide advice for preventing, correcting, alleviating and limiting dysfunction.
- Musculoskeletal (Orthopaedic) Physiotherapy
- Neuro Physiotherapy
- Cardio-respiratory Physiotherapy
- Sports Physiotherapy
- Community Based Rehabilitation
- Pediatric Physiotherapy
- Women’s Health
- Geriatric Physiotherapy
WHERE PHYSIOTHERAPISTS WORK?
- Government / Private hospitals
- Rehabilitation centers
- Sports field
HOW DOES A PHYSIOTHERAPIST EXTEND SUPPORT TO AN INDIVIDUAL AND POPULATION WELLNESS?
- By promoting physical activity and overall health.
- By providing education to prevent disease, injury, and disability.
- By managing acute and chronic conditions, activity limitations (certain activities which become more difficult for a person with a condition/disease), and participation restrictions (interactions with the world around becomes difficult for an individual).
- By improving and maintaining optimal functional independence and physical performance of an individual.
- By rehabilitating post-injury, post-surgery and the effects of disease or disability with graded therapeutic exercise programs and other interventions.
- By educating and planning maintenance and support programs to prevent reocurrence, reinjury or functional decline of an individual.
WHEN TO VISIT A PHYSIOTHERAPIST?
If you are suffering from the following conditions visit physiotherapist at earliest:
- Musculoskeletal (orthopaedic) conditions: Back pain, joint pain, arthritis, post orthopaedic surgery, scoliosis, etc.
- Neurological conditions: stroke/paralysis, GBS, nerve palsies, vertigo, post neuro surgery, and for neuro rehabilitation, etc.
- Cardiovascular and respiratory conditions: Asthama, COVID-19 and other respiratory infections, post cardiac/lung surgery, varicose veins, etc.
- Pediatric conditions: Cerebral palsy, downs syndrome, delayed milestones, etc.
- Sports: Prevention and rehabilitation of sports injuries, on field injury management, etc.
- Women’s health: Before and after pregnancy, pelvic floor rehabilitation, urinary incontinence, post gynaecological surgeries, osteoporosis, etc.
HOW TO IDENTIFY QUALIFIED PHYSIOTHERAPIST?
Check for degree and & registration certificate (or license). Take Physiotherapy treatment from registered physiotherapy practitioner.
WHAT TO DO IF PHYSIOTHERAPIST IS NOT QUALIFIED?
- Do not take Physiotherapy treatment from such persons.
- Report it to Physiotherapy regulating body at your place.
Kindly note while taking Physiotherapy treatment, not just in Maharashtra but wherever you are! Take Physiotherapy treatment from a registered (licensed) Physiotherapist.
Follow us on Instagram!